Monday, December 3, 2012

Fashion Tips: Breaking in Sperry's

I bought a new pair of Sperry's a few months ago and was about to write about how much I loved them because I thought they were really cute...until I realized I hated wearing them.  I had no idea they needed to be broken in and that breaking them in would take absolutely forever!  They severely cut up my feet, especially at the back of my heel and on my ankle bones.  The fabric seemed to chafe against my skin, and I could barely walk in them.  I was told that if I put band-aids on my ankles and heels and then wore them for a full day, they would get broken in.  Unfortunately, this was not true.  I even went back to Nordstrom, which is where I bought them, and asked what to do in order to break them in.  The saleswoman said to rub the back of them with bristle brush, but this didn't work either.  At this point, I had a big dilemma: it was too late to return the shoes and they were scraped up because of me trying to break them in, but they also hurt too much to wear.  I couldn't even walk a block without them hurting!



I asked some of my friends what they did to break in their shoes, but they didn't have any straightforward answers.  Most people said they just wore them a lot and the shoes eventually broke in.  However, these friends told me that they still get blisters from wearing Sperry's for too long.  So, I started Googling "how to break-in Sperry's".  Some people said to just wear them all the time and they would eventually get broken in.  This wouldn't work because I could barely walk with them on.  Other people said to dunk them in water and sea salt.  I was skeptical to do this because I didn't want to completely ruin the shoes.  Finally, I found out how to break them in and comfortably wear them!  One person online said that I need to first loosen my shoes.  The reason why they were chafing my ankle and heel was because the shoes were too tight and the shoe forced itself onto my skin.  So, I loosened up my shoes and this seemed to do the trick!  Now that my feet weren't cutting, I felt so much better.  However, the shoes still weren't perfect.  They were uncomfortable and stiff.  However, one day after loosening up the laces on my shoes, I got caught in the middle of a rainstorm while walking home and my shoes got soaked.  I thought that it was the end of my shoes since I never got them waterproofed, but I was SO wrong!  It turns out that water does the trick on breaking in Sperry's!  So I made sure to wear my Sperry's during a few more rainstorms and now, my Sperry's are PERFECT!  They are actually the most comfortable shoe I own.  When walking with them on, I actually feel like I'm walking on clouds.  It's amazing! 
xoxo Kasia

8 comments:

  1. So...I should try that trick of soaking them in water in the sink and/or bathtub? My Sperry's are gray and they have sequins on them, I'm a little skeptical..what if the sequins come off? :( Please respond ASAP...I got my Sperry's 3 days ago and I've been wearing them ever since and the back of my ankles are KILLING ME! Thought I was the only one, but I've read alot of forums with people complaining as well. Thanks for the help!! :) - Erin D

    P.S these are the exact shoes I have http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/sperry-top-sider-womens-shoes-bahama-boat-shoes?ID=778851&CategoryID=58006#fn=SIZE%3D10%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D49%26ruleId%3D64%26slotId%3D27

    Thanks again! 5/4/13

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water trick only works on leather. Water soaking is a leather forming process and recommended for breaking in military boots

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't do the water trick with fabric or suede sperrys... Only leather. I've heard of using a hair dryer to warm up the back of the shoe and then putting them on to help them mold to your foot better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have fabric ones exactly like these http://www.globoshoes.com/ca-eng/sale/women/shoes/93628381-lasbrenas/2 what should I do?! I wore them for twenty minutes yesterday and I already have blisters on my heel and they're killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.stylishplus.com
    Plus size evening wear may seem hard to come by, but if you know where to look you're guaranteed to find an excellent outfit for any special occasion. Designers are realizing the potential in plus sizes, and are starting to create more fashionable styles curvy girls will love to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am having same dilema as you and have been googling how to stretch them out and came across your blog. Loosening them helped at they are really tight! I am scared to wear them in rain as mine have sparkley gold on the side, dont want to get them dirty. I also read putting a ziplock bag filled with water in each shoe and sticking them in freezer, but scared to crack leather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! :)
    This is an awesome collection of new ideas!
    Eagerly waiting for more valuable articles.
    You would feel more happy to read similar one from here-
    https://topshoesbrand.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buy spray shoe stretch on Amazon, use a wooden shoe insert stretcher

    ReplyDelete